Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 72001464
Historic Name WHEELOCK CHURCH
Description of Significance WHEELOCK CHURCH IS ONE OF OLDEST CHURCHES IN OKLAHOMA. THE CONGREGATION WAS FOUNDED IN 1832 AND THE CURRENT BUILDING WAS FINISHED IN 1846. IT IS A SINGLE STORY GABLE FRONT STONE BUILDING WITH A SQUARE WOODEN STEEPLE. THE STONE WALLS ARE APPROXIMATELY 20-INCHES THICK. THE CHURCH WAS DAMAGED IN THE 1860S AND WAS UNUSED FOR MANY YEARS. IT WAS RESTORED IN 1882 AND WAS USED REGULARLY UNTIL 1900. FROM 1900 TO 1946, IT WAS USED PRIMARILY FOR WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS. AFTER THAT TIME, THE CHURCH WAS AGAIN USED FOR REGULAR CHURCH SERVICES. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 11/09/1972.
Current Name WHEELOCK MISSION CHURCH
Address ABOUT 2 MILES NE OF MILLERTON
City MILLERTON VICINITY
County MCCURTAIN
Lot
Block
Current Section SW 1/4, NE 1/4, SECTION 34
Township 6S
Range 22E
Type BUILDING
Historic Function RELIGION: RELIGIOUS FACILITY: CHURCH
Current Function RELIGION: RELIGIOUS FACILITY: CHURCH
Area Signficance 1 RELIGION
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared FEB 1972
Year Built 1846
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder UNKNOWN
Architectural Style NO DISTINCTIVE STYLE
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material STONE
Window Material WOOD
Door Material UNCOLLECTED
Decorative Details
Condition FAIR
Comments
Restricted N